It is one of my favorite dish, which is easy yet look fancy.
This time, because of what I had (or the lack thereof), I used Shrimp instead of Chicken.
(I thought I had some frozen chicken, but my freezer ate it…)
Anyhow, I will write this recipe for Chicken, but with some comment for adjustment when you use shrimp.
Ingredient (for 4):
- Chicken or Shrimp (1 ~ 1.5 LB)
- Onion (2 Med Size)
- Mushroom (1 pack
- Paprika (2 tsp)
- Chicken Cubes (2) Heavy Cream (1/2 pint)
- Lemon Juice (1 tbs) White Wine (1/2 cup)
- Butter (1 tbs)
- Wondra (or flour)
- Rice (3 cups)
- Paprika (1/4 tsp)
- Turmeric (1/2 tsp)
- Butter (1 tbs)
- Cook rice as its direction (wash, let it sit, add water and set in rice cooker), except before you turn on the rice cooker, add 1/4 tsp of Paprika, 1/2 tsp of Turmeric, and 1 tbs of butter
- Cut chicken into a bite size cube, then sprinkle 1 tsp of Paprika, some salt and pepper and mix well. Then let it marinate while you cut Onions and Mushrooms. (for Shrimp, remove tail and mix with paprika)
- Slice Onion and Mushrooms
- In a medium pot, heat oil and then add chicken (or shrimp), just to cook the surface of the meat, then remove them to a bawl
- In the same pot (with paprika from the meat is still there), put Onion Mushroom, and 1 tbs of butter, and cook until all become nice and soft
- (*Only for Chicken) Put the chicken back in the pot
- Add 1 tsp of Paprika, 1/2 cup of wine, 2 Chicken Cubes, and then add some water just enough to cover the ingredients
- Cook for 15 – 20 min covered, occasionally stir
- Add 1/2 pint of Heavy Cream, 1 tbs of lemon, and check the flavor, add salt/pepper if desired
- (*Only for Shrimp) Once the pot comes to boil, put the shrimp back in
- Sprinkle Wondra (or Flour) to get the consistency of gravy sauce
- Plate them and sprinkle dried parsley if you have, just to make it look fancy!
It is very creamy, yet paprika has distinctive kick. The lemon pulls all the flavors together, and even thought it’s fairly simple dish, it has very sophisticated flavor. I personally like the chicken version better, but shrimp version is also very good. Try and you’ll love it!